The Giles County Democratic Party Caucus scheduled for this Saturday, April 21, has been cancelled. The reason for the cancellation is that the number of applications for delegates submitted equaled the number of positions available so an election is not necessary.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
The Giles County Assembled Democratic Caucus will be held on April 21 at 12:00 noon in the Giles County Courthouse Courtroom, 501 Wenonah Avenue, Pearisburg, VA 24134. Candidates for delegates and alternates must file by April 16 by 5:00 p.m. The filing fee is $25. Joan Kark will be in the Pearisburg Muncipal Building Council Chambers, 112 Tazewell Ave., from 3-5 p.m. on April 16 to collect the filing form. If there are any questions about filing, contact Joan Kark via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 921-4055.
The Giles County Democratic Party Caucus will elect 5 delegates and 1 alternate for the 9th Congressional District Democratic Convention (May 19 at New River Community College) and the Virginia Democratic Party Convention (June 2 in Fairfax). The top five vote getters will be the delegates and the person receiving the 6th number of votes shall be the alternate. Tie votes will be broken by the flip of the coin.
The qualifications for running for delegate/alternate and for participating in the Caucuses are: 1) being 18 years or older; 2) pledging to support Barack H. Obama for President; promising to not support any Republican against any Democratic Candidate in the 2012 elections; and 4) being a registered voter in Giles County.
The Caucus doors will open at 11:30 a.m. so that participants may complete the Declaration Forms and take their seats in the caucus room. The Caucus Room doors will close at 12:00 noon and only those participants already in line and the caucus workers will be allowed entry after that time. The process is more completely explained in the Call to Caucus below.
Come early and be prepared to participate in the Democratic process.
Democratic Call to Caucus
Giles County Democratic Committee
WHEREAS, it is the duty of the Giles County Democratic Committee to issue the Call to Caucus for the purpose of electing 5 delegates and 1 alternate to the Ninth Congressional District Democratic Convention and the Virginia Democratic State Convention.
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Giles County Democratic Committee hereby issues the Call to Caucus to convene an assembled caucus at 12:00 noon, Saturday, April 21, 2012 at the Giles County Courthouse, 510 Wenonah Avenue, Pearisburg Virginia for the sole purpose of electing 5 delegates and 1 alternate to the Ninth Congressional District Convention and the Virginia Democratic State Convention, and the following provisions shall govern the convention, to wit:
1. Filing: Those wishing their names to be placed on the ballot at the Caucus shall file their candidacy by 5:00 p.m. April 16, 2012, with the Giles County Democratic Committee Chair or his/her designee.
2. Voluntary Administrative Fee: There shall be a voluntary administrative fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for each person filing for delegate, payable to the Giles County Democratic Committee. Payment of this fee is completely voluntary. No statement is required in order to waive payment.
3. Conduct the Caucus: The doors to the Caucus will be opened at 11:30 a.m. Check-in will occur between 11:30 a.m. and 12:00 noon. The doors to the caucus will be closed at 12:00 noon and no further persons will be permitted to enter. Those in line at noon will be permitted to complete the check-in process and will be permitted to participate.
The Chair of the Giles County Committee or his/her designee, shall be the Temporary Chair of the Caucus and shall appoint a Temporary Secretary and such other Temporary Officers of the Caucus as is deemed appropriate. Until the adoption of the Rules, the order of the Caucus shall be determined by the Chair of the Caucus, subject to the approval of the Caucus participants, Robert’s Rules of Order, and the Virginia Democratic Party Plan.
4. Affirmative Action: It shall be the duty of each local precinct Democratic chair and the members of each local Democratic Committee to take all feasible steps to encourage broad participation in the delegate selection process. Discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, color, national origin, religion, ethnic identity or economic status in the delegate selection process is prohibited. The Giles County Democratic Committee shall make every effort to ensure that the Giles County delegation is half-male and half-female.
5. Call Distribution: It shall be the duty of the Giles County Democratic Committee Chair to distribute a copy of the Call to Caucus.
It shall further be the duty of the Giles County Democratic Committee to cause this Call to Caucus to be publicized through the Giles County Democratic Party website and the Virginia Democratic Party website.
Joan Kark, Chair, Giles County Democratic Committee Chair
Authorized by the Giles County Democratic Party of Virginia