Virginia Photo ID Required for voting November 4, 2014
Voters must present one of the following acceptable forms of identification when voting:
- Valid Virginia Driver’s License (not expired more than 1 year)
- DMV-issued photo identification card
- Valid U.S. Passport
- Valid Employee photo identification card
- Other government-issued photo identification cards
- Valid college or university student photo identification (issuer must be an institution of higher education located in Virginia)
If you do not have an acceptable ID, you may obtain a photo ID for free from the Giles County Voter Registrar’s office, 201 N. Main St, Suite 1, Pearisburg, VA 24134-1611. The phone number is921-2802. Hours are from Monday through Friday, 9-5 p.m. For more information, see their webpage at http://gilescounty.org/voter.html
Note: If you vote absentee by mail, no photo voter ID is required. You can download an absentee ballot application from the state website at:
Return the application to the Pearisburg office (address above) to receive your absentee ballot by mail.
If a voter does not present a valid photo ID on election day, he or she can cast a provisional ballot. But, they need to present a valid photo ID by the following Friday after the election for the vote to be counted.